What is it?
POD Scholarly Reads is a professional development initiative of the POD Scholarship Committee that aims to:
- support POD members in meaningful engagement with scholarly literature and
- provide POD members with low-investment, ongoing opportunities to participate in a scholarly community
How does it work?
Anyone can join the POD Scholarly Reads group, which meets monthly to discuss a scholarly article during a 60-minute Zoom meeting run by the Scholarship Committee. We are often fortunate enough to be joined by the authors of the article, and the group is a great way to engage with research, researchers, and POD members from a variety of institutions.
Our readings focus on one topic for a 3-month series (see previous topics below). Topics and readings are chosen based upon POD member suggestions. Commit to one article or the 3-month series, the choice is yours!
During the Zoom session, the Scholarship Committee facilitator introduces the session, and if present, gives the author of the article a chance to share a bit about the origins of the study. The facilitator then breaks up the larger group into smaller (4-5 participants) breakout rooms to discuss the article. Some of the questions that drive the small group discuss include:
- What are the primary strengths and weaknesses of this study, in terms of its design?
- How does this study connect with other work you may be involved in (e.g., questions your faculty have, programs you offer, initiatives at your institution, the broader landscape of higher education)?
- What else do you want to learn about as a result of reading this study?
- What questions do you have for the author?
After the small group discussion, the facilitator brings the group back together to ask the author questions.