The “Bob Pierleoni Spirit of POD Award” is the highest honor that POD bestows on a member. It recognizes long-standing members who have made selfless contributions through their service to the organization and to the field of educational development. The award is presented at the Annual Conference.
(deadline: by 11:59PM (MST) on Monday, September 24, 2018)
The award is named for Bob Pierleoni, a member of the POD Network in Higher Education from its earliest days. Bob was a person who always gave effort far beyond expectation to any endeavor he undertook. His spirit of gentle humor, personal warmth, caring helpfulness, and commitment to collaboration pervaded the organization.
The Bob Pierleoni Spirit of POD Award was established after he passed away in 1990, in recognition of his enduring influence and to honor POD members who exemplify Bob’s long-time contributions and dedication to the organization.
We invite POD Network members to nominate colleagues for the Spirit of POD Award.
Nominees should reflect some combination of the following attributes:
- An established history of serving the organization and its members through sustained participation in POD above and beyond routine ways, including:
a. Sharing knowledge, experience, materials ideas and support freely with other POD members
b. Exercising innovative leadership in the organization
- Substantial contributions to the profession of faculty, instructional and organizational development
- Exemplifying the philosophy, principles, and practices of POD, such as generosity of spirit, kindness, compassion, sincerity, and civility
- Actively involved in POD for at least 10 years
Effective nominations in the past have included:
- Examples that demonstrate as many criteria (above) as possible, though not necessarily all of them, illustrating ways that the nominee’s life and work embody these traits.
- Support from more than one individual and more than one institution/organization, exemplifying the nominee’s contributions to the broader field in addition to the work they do at their own institution
- Narrative description and quotes – rather than a series of bullet points – telling the story of the nominee’s contributions
Nominators should note that POD’s President, immediate Past President, President-Elect, and members of the Spirit of POD subcommittee are not eligible to receive this award. SPOD subcommittee members are not eligible to serve as nominators. Please contact the SPOD subcommittee Chair if you are unsure who is serving in these roles.
Please direct any questions to the SPOD subcommittee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Executive Director, Teaching, Learning, and Professional Development Center
Texas Tech University
2015 Michele DiPietro and Phyllis Worthy Dawkins
2013 Laura Border and Connie Cook
2012 Mathew Ouellett
2011 Mike Theall
2010 Wayne Jacobson and Lynn Sorensen
2009 Sally Kuhlenschmidt
2006 Mary Dean Sorcinelli
2004 Christine Stanley
2003 Peter Frederick and Delivee Wright
2002 Don Wulff
2001 Kay Herr Gillespie
2000 Joan North
1999 Linc. Fisch
1998 Nancy Chism
1997 Karron G. Lewis and Dan Wheeler
1995 Bob Diamond
1994 Marilla D. Svinicki
* The award is not necessarily presented every year.