Guidelines for Submissions
You must be logged into the site in order to view the application.
The application opens August 1 at 6:00 AM EST.
It was at the 1986 annual POD conference in Hidden Valley, Pennsylvania, that Marilla Svinicki and Marilyn Leach launched the Bright Idea Award (BIA). Their purpose was to recognize innovative ideas that improve learning and teaching, as well as enhance the general effectiveness of higher education faculty members. The basic intent was to share innovative ideas with the POD membership and encourage others to adapt the ideas for their own use, as well as to develop useful innovations themselves.
Continuing this tradition at each annual conference of the POD Network, the Bright Idea Awards were presented to participants who implemented creative ideas for the enhancement of teaching and learning and/or faculty development. In 2004, the name of the award was changed to the POD Innovation Award. Recipients are recognized at the Awards banquet and receive an engraved trophy.
The POD Innovation Award recognizes POD Network members who have implemented creative ideas for educational development. This recognition is presented at the annual conference. The purpose of the award is twofold:
- To encourage participants to share their ideas with colleagues in the POD Network.
- To recognize those working in any area of educational development: faculty, graduate student, instructional, or organizational development.
We encourage both new and experienced participants at the annual POD conference to submit an entry. We will notify finalists of the POD Innovation Award on or before Monday, October 8, 2018.
To win the POD Innovation Award, at least one author listed on the innovation poster submission is required to:
- Be a member of POD at the time of submission
- If chosen as a finalist, present at the poster session at the POD conference and distribute a handout describing their Innovation Award (Poster size is 3 feet height by 4 feet width maximum
- Attend the Friday evening banquet and awards ceremony
The POD Innovation Award winner will be announced at the Friday evening banquet.
A committee of POD Network members representing various programs and institutions will select up to seven (7) entries that are judged to be strongest using the criteria of (a) originality, (b) scope and results, (c) transferability, and (d) effectiveness. For example:
(weighted more than the others)
|Scope & Results||One session||Long term Event|
|Individual Impact||Campus-wide Impact|
|Goals partially met||Goals fully met|
|Transferability||To like institutions of higher education||To all institutions of higher education|
|Effectiveness||Expensive in cost & time||Not expensive in cost & time|
|Time Consuming||Not time consuming|
Important Dates for 2018
- Submission period: August 1–September 1, 2018
- Finalists will be notified on October 8, 2018
- Early Bird registration is open through October (exact date TBD), 2018
Poster Session is Friday evening during the conference before the Awards Banquet
Past POD Innovation Award Finalists are on WikiPODia.
See some examples from the Previous Winners
Josie Baudier | POD Innovation Award Chair | firstname.lastname@example.org