The Professional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD) was officially founded in March, 1976, at the spring conference of the American Association for Higher Education (AAHE). Joan North was the first Coordinator (now called the President) and the Core Committee (aka the Board of Directors) was created. Since then, POD has held national conferences every year, and is the largest and oldest faculty development organization in the world. It has remained committed to outreach throughout its history, and as a global leader has contributed to the development of national and regional faculty development organizations around the world.
The POD History Committee: If you are a member of POD and interested in helping gather, preserve, and distribute the history of POD, please join the POD History Committee. If you do not use Facebook, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Publications related to POD’s History:
- North, J., & Scholl, S. (Spring 1979). POD: The Founding of a National Network. POD Quarterly, 1(1), 10-17.
- The POD Archives at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln
- The POD Digital Archives
- The POD Quarterly (1979-1980)
- POD Network News (1980-2011)
- To Improve the Academy (1982-1998)
- Index for To Improve the Academy (1982-2011)
- Essays on Teaching Excellence (1989-2011)
- POD Listserv Archives (1998-2015)
- POD Google Group Archives (2015-present)
- POD Core Committee Minutes
- POD Conference Materials (1976-2004)
- Historical Photos