Submit Your Entry by September 19, 2014 using the form below!
History and Purpose
It was at the 1986 annual POD conference in Hidden Valley, Pennsylvania, that Marilla Svinicki and Marilyn Leach launched the Bright Idea Award (BIA). Their purpose was to recognize innovative ideas that have improved learning and teaching, as well as enhanced the general effectiveness of higher education faculty members. The basic intent was to share innovative ideas with the POD membership and encourage others to adapt the ideas for their own use, as well as to develop useful innovations themselves.
Continuing this tradition at each annual conference of the POD Network, the Bright Idea Awards were presented to participants who implemented creative ideas for the enhancement of teaching and learning and/or faculty development. In 2004 the name of the award was changed to the POD Innovation Award. Recipients are recognized at the Awards banquet and receive an engraved plaque.
We encourage both new and experienced participants at the annual POD conference to submit an entry. We will notify finalists of the POD Innovation Award on or before Friday, October 3, 2014.
To win the POD Innovation Award, at least one author listed on the innovation poster submission is required to:
- present a poster session at the POD conference and distribute a handout describing their Innovation Award, and
- attend the Friday evening banquet and awards ceremony.
The POD Innovation Award recipient will be announced at the Friday evening banquet to be held in Dallas, Texas on November 7th, 2014.
A committee of POD Network members representing various programs and institutions will select up to seven (7) entries that are judged to be strongest using the criteria of (a) originality, (b) scope and results, (c) transferability, and (d) effectiveness. For example:
Examples for Selection Process
|Scope & Results:||one session||long term|
|individual impact||campus-wide impact|
|goals partially met||goals successfully met|
|Transferability:||to like institutions of higher education||to all higher educational institutions|
Here are some examples from the Past Years’ Winners
Open August 11, 2014
Due September 19, 2014
Finalists Notified October 3, 2014
Applications will open August 4, 2014 and will close on September 19, 2014. Complete the form below. All Innovation Award recipients are required to present a poster at the POD conference to be held in Dallas, Texas Nov 5 – 9. We will notify finalists of the POD Innovation Award on or before Friday, October 3, 2014.
Please Include the following in your Innovation Award application:
- Your Name and Position or Title
- Name of Center/Department/Program
- Name of Institution and Address
- E-mail and Phone Number
- Center/Department/Program Web address (optional)
Innovation Award Description
- Title of the Innovation Award
- Category of Innovation Award (choose the one most applicable)
- Teaching and Learning
- Consulting with Faculty
- Workshops, Seminars, Conferences
- Organizational Development
- Teaching Assistant Development
- Faculty Development Using Technology
- Other ________________________
- Abstract of your Innovation Award – 75 words or less.
- Description of 500 words or less. Please note that this Innovation must be a practice you have already implemented and evaluated, at least informally. Use the following five (5) headings to organize your description (please avoid acronyms and send no additional materials):
- Description and Goal(s) of the Innovation
- Scope and Results
- Effectiveness (time and cost)
- Web address to support your entry (optional) Campus Contact Information
- Please include the names, titles, and addresses of up to three (3) individuals on your campus whom you want notified if you are an award recipient, including your Public Affairs office.
All Innovation Award recipients are required to present a poster at the POD conference to be held in Dallas, Texas November 5 – 9, 2014.
NOTE: If you do not see the form, you must log in to the website. After logging in, be sure to Refresh your browser window.
Please log into the PODNetwork site with your membership credentials
POD Innovation Award Chair